why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

September

I'm unusually excited for my birthday this year.
Maybe it's because I've gotten a few early presents.
Maybe it's because the last few weeks have left me in want of something to look forward to.
Maybe it's just because birthdays are fun

There are some things I thought I'd have in order by this age--twenty-six--and some things I didn't expect.  I thought I'd be teaching by now (I am, in a way).  I didn't think I'd have a house.  I thought I'd have traveled more.  And those things, they aren't regrets, but rather surprises.






Birthdays are a time of reminiscing and hoping for me, and I'm going to embrace that this year.  Celebrate the past; embrace the present.  Or, like I read recently: breathe in the present; breathe out the past.







Next week, I'll have some cake (just a little; I'm being careful with the food I eat) and some pasta and I'll celebrate my birthday quietly, with friends and family near.  And then, when the house is quiet, I'll spend a little time writing, maybe art journaling, and get something down about the day, about my hopes and dreams, and close the pages of last year's journal and open a new one.










1.  surprise in the mail--I didn't know I'd been one of the first to comment!  Thanks, Stargardener! /// 2.  my husband's gift to me this year--we decided not to wait until my birthday to set it up.  It's awesome. /// 3. this year's present-to-myself, from Whispered Truths

No comments: