why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

One Word



I have one goal for 2014: WRITE.



I have one word for 2014: BRAVE.

These two words will come together, I'm sure, because they encompass the many things I hope for in 2014: teaching, traveling, storytelling, story-writing, story-reading, and all the other new adventures that await.

Why write?  I miss the written word.  I've let the writer in me slip away too often and hide in the shadows because I've been afraid that I don't have a story to tell (silly me), that it's not worth telling, or, sometimes, because I'm afraid I won't like the story I do have to tell (or others won't like it).

Why brave?  I need courage.  A million new adventures await me in 2014.  In the next twelve months, I'll student teach, graduate, travel, interview, and, fingers crossed, start teaching.  That's a LOT of adventures and requires a LOT of bravery, even in the midst of all my joyful anticipation.

And at the root of both is the one ethic that drives me daily: be kind.

Here's to 2014: be brave, write, and be kind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excited to journey with you, Katie. A gift to find your blog through OneWord. I, too, want to be more intentional with my writing in 2014.

... said...

Such winderful goals and plans. I look forward to sharing your journey!

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Every teacher needs bravery and tenacity - and being a good writer doesn't hurt at all, either! Looks like you'll have the makings of a good one! I don't know what you'll be doing with your writing but if you ever feel like publishing or giving some of it out I'd love to read it!