why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Just a few weeks ago, my aunt learned of my relatively new but rapidly growing love of Neil Gaiman's stories.  So she invited me to join her for a reading and signing in Lexington, one of the last stops on Gaiman's final American signing tour.

It was wonderful.

A dear friend of mine from college was there when we arrived, and we all marveled at the serendipity and hit it off wonderfully.  Three geek girls at a Neil Gaiman signing, absolutely devoted to the written word and stories and everything amazing?  Perfect.



Then there was the reading, some obnoxious music from next door, changed seats so we could hear.  And then Gaiman answered questions, and I fell for his words about fostering creativity in young people, in response to a public school teacher's question about how to do so.

The main idea was simple: don't squash it.  Kids are wonderfully creative and imaginative and explorative.  Don't squash these things.



Then we waited to have our books signed, a little giddy with exhaustion from the late hour and the many smiles and laughs, and the night was finished.

But I got to enjoy a little more of it as I raced through The Ocean at the End of the Lane.  Reading it felt like the night of the signing: delightful, exciting, a little mysterious, and worthwhile.



[photos as captured by my iPhone]

No comments: