why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sudden Shout-Out



You guys, I sort of taught a lesson on Friday.  Off the cuff.  Because we wound up with time to fill in the class before lunch.  So I filled that time, and it went so. well.  I got into the lesson, looking at the students, and realized how amazing it is to know your kids for even a few months.  I mean, I've been tutoring for a few years, but teaching a little classroom?  That scared me, especially in front of experienced professionals.  And then I did it.  And it was fine.  And I liked it.

I've decided a few things.  One, I'm focusing on writing as I feel--not with perfect grammar, punctuation, or spelling, but rather whatever writing style is going to reflect the tone I'm trying to convey.

And I will blog when I feel like it and write more often.  I put pencil to paper in my journal two days straight and wrote here today.  That's good, right?

and this is my word this year: matter.

As in, this year, I will find ways to matter.  As soon as I put those words on paper last Wednesday night, something in me shifted, and then there were two days and two opportunities to matter.  Then the weekend arrived and I celebrated with my best friend at her bridal shower yesterday and spent today nursing a cold.

I have three instructions for myself this year, so far.  In January, I promised to be brave.  In February, I promised to be kind.  Here is March, almost past, and I've discovered that my word for the month is to matter.  All three of those words color the rest of my year.  Be brave.  Be kind.  Matter.


And for heaven's sake, stop sneezing already.


[photo of a perfectly lovely origami butterfly by Karen B. of todolwen.  I made a bunch of these last week but can't seem to get a decent photo of them]

No comments: