why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Monday, December 8, 2014

one word



Last year, choosing a word was easy: brave.  It stuck with me year round as I went forth into many adventures: student teaching, graduating, Europe, job hunting, starting one job in August and, finally, my first teaching position in September.

Words and phrases have stuck with me in this year of growth and exploration, especially since I began art journaling in the summer.

"I will try to allow your reaction to me."
Mandy Steward, print available here
"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new & trust the magic of beginnings." 
Meister Eckhart, via the Bldg25 blog 
"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
 A.A. Milne
"What sets your heart free?"
from art by Kelly Rae Roberts, available here 
"Your story matters."
unknown, on a pretty little card here
"Be brave & be kind."
Ghandi (I think)
"You do not have to be silent."
discovered on a bracelet by Jodi Bond (Whispered Truths)
"She believed she could, so she did."
unknown, discovered on gorgeous art by Valentina Harper
"It's time to begin, isn't it?I get a little bit bigger but then I'll admitI'm just the same as I wasNow don't you understandThat I'm never changing who I am."
Imagine Dragons

"I'm looking for a place to start/and everything feels so different now..."
Of Monsters and Men
"She was bold within her limits."
Ann Brashares in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 

and now I feel like a ridiculous hipster wanna-be and that's just fine.  I like dreamy, free-spirit quotes.   They suit me.  

Because here's the thing: these words and lyrics stick with me.  They settle into my mind and sit with me when I'm figuring things out and trying to understand myself and my life.  

Yet with all these words, nothing's settling in for next year.  This has been the year of brave.  

But I don't know what's ahead.  

I don't know what intentions I want to set.

I don't know what word I'll need to carry with me in the next year.

(and then it hit me as I went wandering through my Instagram feed to find a picture for this post: awaken)

No comments: