why untitled, unwritten?

I once labeled everything before it was written, until I found it kept too many words away. Now I am leaving the unwritten untitled, until it grows into a name.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

No. 2



In second grade, a friend and I both raced through every book from Little House in the Big Woods to These Happy Golden Years.  It was a race both because we wanted to be the first to finish the series (competitive reading!) and because we simply couldn't put them down.

I don't know where my old copies are.  They were probably passed along to cousins or friends.  Still, I remember those books and the feel of each in my hands.  They were paperbacks, hand-me-downs, falling apart from multiple readings, and perfect for an eight year old girl who loved everything about "the olden days."

This morning, I found scans of the first edition covers on Purple House Press this morning in one of those click-from-link-to-link adventures.  The recollections were fairly joyful--and it delighted me to see that Purple House Press is in a little town about two hours from where I live.  The Laura Ingalls Wilder page is more of a side project from fifteen years ago--the press is actually devoted to republishing children's books that have gone out of print.

No comments: